Ah those good old chewing gums. In addition to being playful and downright regressive (they gladly remind us of our childhood), they allow you to release certain tensions and keep your breath fresh. This therefore gives them at least one point in common with cannabidiol (CBD): they help us relax and focus our attention on something else during stressful situations. A chewing gum with cannabidiol therefore seems obvious, especially since it is more discreet and rather cheaper than other CBD derivatives. But what exactly are its effects, how long does it work and how much to take per day? Answer right away.
What is CBD chewing gum?
CBD chewing gum is simply gum chew that contains cannabidiol. It may also contain other ingredients such as vitamins or magnesium, for specific effects, and obviously aromas. There are thus many different CBD chewing gum flavors, with the classic mint or strawberry, but also more original flavors such as cola or blackcurrant.
What are the effects of a CBD chewing gum?
Some studies [link in English] have long been talking about the benefits of chewing gum, especially in terms of concentration and stress. Thus, in the short term, chewing gum wouldincrease memory (in the context of exams for example), but also reduce stress, anxiety and even depression. However, these studies still need to be validated. They also show that these effects appear only in the short term, and thus do not in any way promote concentration over long periods.
By adding to this the CBD properties, also known for its soothing, relaxing and antidepressant action, the combination of the two products makes perfect sense.
Several advantages are highlighted. However, they should be considered with caution.
- Reduce stress/anxiety: through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system, CBD works against stress. This would also be the case of chewing, which helps to better focus his attention.
- Reduce fatigue: in particular thanks to the addition of food supplements (vitamins or magnesium for example), but also because the CBD helps to sleep better.
- Stop smoking : chewing gums and other nicotine gums are well known. They relieve the symptoms of withdrawal, but retain a dose of nicotine (addictive). CBD chewing gum can be a great way to keep that feeling going, nicotine-free and without the sleep issues that nicotine gum sometimes causes.
- Limit the feeling of hunger: there is little scientific evidence on this subject, but very many testimonials from users indicating that chewing gum is a good distraction from the feeling of hunger.
These benefits may, however, come with some side effects, which are fortunately rare and generally harmless.
- Digestion problems: chewing causes the stomach to work empty, which can lead to aerophagia and/or accentuate irritable bowel syndrome.
- Oral disorders: consumed in large quantities, chewing gum with sugar can cause cavities and gum problems.
- CBD Side Effects : in overdose, CBD can lead to digestive problems, a feeling of dry mouth, or headaches. They are nevertheless rare and mainly concern the consumption of very high doses.
Contrary to what we were often told as children, swallow chewing gum, whether or not it contains CBD, is not hazardous to health. There is therefore no risk that the chewing gum will remain "stuck" in the stomach or elsewhere in the digestive system. The latter will on the contrary do its best to digest it and therefore fragment it so that it can be evacuated in the stool. However, it is still not recommended to swallow your chewing gum.
How long does CBD chewing gum work?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the duration of the effects depends on both the product and the individual who consumes it.
First of all, it is good to remember that CBD is a hydrophobic molecule. It therefore does not dissolve in water and does not dissolve well in saliva. On the contrary, she is lipophilic (or fat-soluble): it likes fat. A fat-free CBD chewing gum therefore has a good chance of not working at all.
Add to that that we react all differently to cannabinoids. This phenomenon is called the law of effect. Weight, consumption habits, certain genetic factors are all reasons to react differently when consuming CBD.
On average, it is nevertheless reasonable to think thatCBD chewing gum can act 3 to 4 hours. Depending on the individual, a range varying from 2 to 6 hours is quite possible. On average, the first effects are generally felt after half an hour chewing at least.
How many CBD chewing gums can you take per day?
It depends on the concentration and, more generally, the amount of cannabidiol present in each treat. For a CBD chewing gum with 20 milligrams of cannabidiol (an average dosage to feel the effects of the cannabinoid), it is reasonable to wait at least 4-6 hours before taking a second one. It is also recommended not to exceed 70 milligrams of CBD per day for a medium-sized individual (about 70 kg). The number of CBD chewing gums per day therefore depends on both the amount of CBD per piece and consumer morphology. In general, taking two or three CBD chewing gums a day does not involve any major danger, but always refer to the instructions for use of your derivative and systematically check its dosage.
Chewing too much chewing gum, including without CBD, is also not recommended, especially for avoid digestive and dental problems mentioned above.